Sunday, October 18, 2009

Did I Fail?

I have so much to say and so little I probably can say in this forum.

The crux is that A asked to leave after discovering that she couldn't convince us to kick her out with escalating behaviour.

So, on the one hand, I feel like I did well because I passed the tests and didn't reject her despite some pretty extreme attempts to force us to. On the other hand, I feel like I failed because she's gone and it appears that the behavioural escalation wasn't really a test, but, rather an illogical approach to getting what she wanted.

I also can't help but feel that it was a tip of the iceberg scream for help and I don't know if she's going to get that help now that she's gone back to a place where they invest less direct energy into caring specifically for her.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't fail, and I agree about you being the one who was invested in her. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

    I was reading through your blogs, and I didn't see anything [maybe I just missed it]. If you don't mind, I had a few questions. How old are you? What do you do for a living? You said you worked with teens, but in what capacity? You say "we" — are you married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. You didn't fail. You can't make anyone accept help. They have to want it. It just doesn't work if we're the only ones who want it for them.

    ReplyDelete