Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Can I do this?

A-15 joined our family a couple of days ago. On the one hand, she seems like a pretty good kid and like a really good fit for us. On the other hand, she's lying to us about things and seems to think we're not able to figure it out.

I deal with this kind of thing all the time with teens during my work hours and I know what I'd do about it there. But, we're trying to build relationship here and engender trust. So, I want her to believe that I trust her and I want her to choose honesty herself.

The thing is, her lies are all about making herself look good. She's been given a pretty clear message that she needs to make this family work or she'll have to go to a group home. So, she's trying to make herself look better than she actually is. I know it's asking a lot for someone to trust me with their true self, but, pretty soon I'm going to have to tell her that I know the truth about some of these things--teacher interviews are in a week.

I can do this, right?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just found your blog. How's it going since your kiddo was placed with you?

    Hang in there. You are doing a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. Thanks for the comment and the wishes. I've started through your blog and it sounds like you've got lots of interesting challenges.

    ReplyDelete